Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Beni

March 1st I'll be traveling with 8 others to the town of Beni in the Nord-Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Beni is just north of Rwanda and west of Uganda near the Ruwenzori Mountains. 7 of us will return to the States after 2-4 weeks. Heather Wright and I will stay on for 6 months. We will join Justin Hubbard (click here to see his blog) who has been teaching English for the past several months.

I’ll be teaching 90 or so students computer applications at a school just outside the city. Heather will be working with traumatized women.

The population of Beni is uncertain (they don’t have a census in the Congo) but I’ve heard anywhere from 100,000 to 250,000 people live there.

I'm excited to be part of God's hand in healing a country that has only known war, slavery and indebtedness since the 1600's - Bwana Asifiwe Sana!! (Kiswahili for Praise the Lord a lot!)

No comments: